Consequences of Unacceptable Behavior
Unacceptable behavior from any participant at an SGIM meeting will not be tolerated.
If a participant engages in unacceptable behavior, SGIM may take any action they deem appropriate, including removal from an SGIM National, Regional or other meeting (without refund) at which the harassment occurred. Egregious violations will result in more severe sanctions.
Determining a violation
- SGIM has designated fact finders to understand the complaint, context and extenuating circumstances
- SGIM has a Senior Officer who is responsible for immediate decisions (such as what to do during the meeting period.
- SGIM has a body with Oversight Authority to review anything more than a simple complaint. This body can make decisions during the meeting period and after the meeting period. This body ensures fair and consistent decisions and is careful to avoid unwarranted defamation.
- Consequences may include encouragement to participate in a non-punitive, restorative process or community-building option.
- We will follow the principles of due process.
If You Are Subject to or Witness Unacceptable Behavior
If you are being harassed, notice that someone else is being harassed, or have any other concerns, please contact one of the Meeting Contacts immediately. A Meeting Contact can be identified by a badge with a purple flag. You may also report using this online form: https://tinyurl.com/SGIMReportForm
If possible, provide the following information, preferably in writing:
- Identifying information (name/badge ID, appearance) of the participant about whom you have the concern;
- The behavior that was in violation;
- The approximate time of the behavior (if different than the time the report was made);
- The circumstances surrounding the incident;
- Other people involved in or witnessing the incident.
The Meeting Contacts are trained on how to deal with the incident and how to further proceed with the situation.
If needed or requested, Meeting Contact will help participants contact venue security or local law enforcement, provide escorts, or otherwise assist those experiencing harassment to feel safe for the duration of the Meeting.
If the person raising the concern, any identified individual target, or the accused (each an “individual most directly involved”) or a particular witness asks the Meeting Contact for confidentiality of their identity while the concern is being addressed, reasonable steps will be taken to do so.
But the Society will not maintain confidentiality, if in its judgment and discretion, safety or law, an investigation, determination of a violation, or removal of a Participant from the meeting requires otherwise. Anyone who receives information during an investigation, however, must maintain its confidentiality. Failure to do so is a serious violation of this Policy, as is retaliation against any identified individual target, witness, or anyone who raises or helps resolve a conduct concern.
Investigations and Appeals
If you are accused of or being investigated for unacceptable behavior, this complaint will be processed fairly. You may contact SGIM CEO or Deputy CEO to describe your perspective.
Any grievances will be handled in accordance with our existing governing policies. [SGIM BYLAWS]